The World Kindness Movement (WKM) is an international NGO with no political or religious affiliations. The formation of the movement crystallized at a conference in Tokyo in 1997 when Japan brought together like-minded kindness organizations from around the world. The WKM was later launched in Singapore on 18 November 2000 at the 3rd WKM Conference and in 2019 it was registered as a NGO under the Swiss law.
- 2008 Italia, Parma Chaired 2nd International Council Meeting
- 2010 Australia Sydney Hosted 6th General Assembly
- 2011 Singapore Met WKM Secretariat for Due Diligence
- 2011 Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Met with Consular General of Qatar
- 2012 UK London 8th General Assembly Torch passes from Singapore to Australia
- 2012 China Shanghai 2012 Launch 1 million dollar Kindness Campaign
- 2013 China Hong Kong Chaired 3rd International Council Meeting
- 2013 China Hong Kong Launch World Kindness China
- 2014 Australia Sydney Hosted & Chaired 8th General Assembly
- 2015 France Paris Launch of World Kindness France
- 2015 France Avignon Chaired 8th International Council Meeting
- 2015 Thailand Bangkok Deliver Message to Thai Prime Minister
- 2016 USA Kindness Tour – Los Angeles – Anaheim – Phoenix – San Francisco – San Diego
- 2016 Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Hosted & Chaired 20th International Council Meeting
- 2017 Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Met with Kindness Malaysia board re Campaign Strategy
- 2017 Korea Seoul 9th General Assembly 20th Anniversary
- 2017 Australia Gold Coast Present City with Official Listing as a World Kindness City
- 2018 WKUSA: Founded the national body peak
- 2019 WKM is registered under the Swiss law and becomes a legal entity
- 2019 Switzerland Lugano 10th General Assembly
The mission of the World Kindness Movement (WKM) is to inspire individuals and connect nations to create a kinder world. The WKM encourages and supports individuals, communities, cities and nations to establish independent kindness organisations to join the World Kindness Movement to see a kinder world realised in our lifetime.
The objectives of the Movement are:
- To raise awareness of the World Kindness Movement
- To share ideas and experiences of kindness programs in different countries; and
- To increase international membership and to provide opportunities for members to network and collaborate among themselves.
The Declaration of Support for a Kinder World was signed at the DMZ in Seoul in 2017 during the Global General Assembly
The demilitarized zone (DMZ) is a border barrier that divides the Korean Peninsula roughly in half. It was created by agreement between North Korea, China and the United Nations Command in 1953. The DMZ is 250 kilometres (160 miles) long, and about 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) wide.
World Kindness Day is internationally observed on 13 November of each year. It was introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement, then a coalition of national NGOs with a primary focus on kindness. World Kindness Day is to highlight good deeds in the community focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness which binds us.